Thursday, July 14, 2011

Achilles!

I've now run about 12 times in my Minimus Trail shoes. Definitely had a big blister on my right Achilles, but that is getting better with time. Used them in Utah on family vacation (6 mile trail runs) and ran about three times on the road (in Cambridge). Other than the normal "getting used to" phase, the transition from my Asics Gel Kahana's (which I have since started to intersperse a bit more) to the NB minimus wasn't that difficult. That is until I did the 12k Blue Hills Skyline Trail race Sunday (4 days ago). Actually, during the race, I absolutely loved them. Felt good going up and down, good feel for the ground, no pain through the sole. Great. But, soon after the race had really sore hamstrings (particularly left) and sore right Achilles. I always have had really tight hamstrings and I think that soreness was just from the nature of the course (really rocky). I have never yet though had an Achilles issue, so this is new and I think a cause of the transition and the pretty hard beating I put on the tendon during the race (probably needed another week or so of running to get to the point were I was ready). Anyways, went for a 4 mile run yesterday, and the achilles was sore but not bad (much better than Sunday and Monday). So, ibuprofen, calf and hamstring stretches for me. I am taking today off, and will test it out again tomorrow in the Asics to continue the slow transition. Really loving trail running, and I'm just a newbie with lots of room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment